Tuesday 5 March 2013

Sew For Victory: Fabric Choices

Hello there my lovely readers! Welcome back to the next instalment in my Sew For Victory adventure! 

I know that you were all thrilled with the pattern I selected for this challenge, but now let me show you the fabric lovelies I have chosen...

First up the plaid:


This yummy plaid is going to become my jacket. I was originally looking for something with a bit of red or green in the pattern (my go to colours!) but when I spotted this brown and blue design I fell in love. Plus the wool is so soft that as soon as I touched it I knew I would be taking som of it home with me! The blue of the pattern is a lot more delicate in real life, a sort of lighter navy colour rather than the almost black it appears to be in these pictures. I know it's going to look beautiful :)

And next up is my contrast solid wool...


I went for this simple solid brown for the skirt and the contrast trim of the jacket, because I think it will work beautifully as a  separate in it's own right, and it also brings out the blue in my plaid whilst also matching the browns in it nicely. It's also a lovely weight and very pleasing to the touch, one of the reasons I love working with wool so much!

Here the two fabrics are together, so you can get an idea of the overall effect:



So there you have it my lovely readers, we have fabric lift off! I have already traced off my pattern pieces and measured them to ensure they'll give the right fit so cutting out time is approaching! I'm also pretty sure that I'm not going to line this jacket so that it's a bit lighter and can be worn comfortably in cool spring/autumn weather rather than just in winter (lets be honest, in the UK we get cool spring/autumn weather for most of the year!). This means I'll be trying out some fancy seam finishes to make sure the jacket looks beautiful inside and out, so watch this space!

Anyway, if you'll excuse me I've got some plaid to match...
(I must be mental, this is the third matching plaid project I've done recently! See the others here and here)

4 comments:

Tasha @ By gum, by golly! said...

I just love those fabrics together! I look forward to seeing what seam finishes you do, too. I know the whole thing is going to be fantastic!

Stephanie said...

Can't wait to see the final outfit! It's going to be lovely. The neutral colours are a good choice too. They'll be a lot easier to wear all through the year :)

Sabrina said...

Lovely choices! This is such an interesting project to follow. Can't wait to see how it goes! Makes me wish we had more choices in wools here. Although, I did just pick up several yards of a really nice ivory wool twill while on an out-of-town fabric shop. I'm regretting that I didn't buy more! ;)

Ginger said...

Perfect choices! Can't wait to see these pieces in action!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...