Saturday 7 April 2012

Life is full of Challenges....

You may remember from my Wednesday Wonderfuls this week that I am going to be taking part in the fabulous Sew Cinematic Challenge in which you make a garment inspired by now of your favourite on screen looks. I am very excited about this and have almost settled on what look I'm going to try and recreate, but this isn't the only Challenge I have recently signed up for. This year I'm going to take part in Me-Made-May-12 over at So, Zo... What do you know?



For those of you that don't already know the lovely Zoe has been hosting Me-Made and Self-Stitched Challenges for two years now, in which the participants vow to wear handmade items of clothing everyday for a whole month. You can choose how few or how many items you challenge yourself to wear each day, some people just go for one whilst other brave souls opt for an entirely handmade made wardrobe for a month, but all in all it seems like a great way to get those handmade clothes out of the wardrobe and into the streets. I have been following these Challenges for a while now, and after a year and a bit of sewing I feel that I finally have enough handmade clothes to take part, it's all very exciting!

I have also decided to combine this Challenge with a little addition of my own. Those of you who have followed my blog for a while will know that something that I featured a lot on my blog in the early days were Vintage Revamp Projects, in which I took cheaper castoff vintage items that no one else seemed to want and turned them into something pretty. Particular favourites of mine were my Hot Pink 1950s dress and my Shirt to Skirt Challenge. These projects really helped me become more creative with my sewing and hone my crafting skills when I was just starting out, I think they are a great way to get people into sewing if they are a little intimidated. Now it's been while since I tackled a Vintage Revamp, but that doesn't mean I have stopped collecting clothing that need a good Revamp, oh no! So I am going to declare the month of May Vintage Revamp Month! I intend to tackle the section of my Stash (therefore putting my own UFO/Stash Busting Project into the mix) that is dedicated to unloved Vintage clothes and give them a new lease of life. So that will be two Challenges tackled in one month, not including the Sew Cinematic Challenge which will also be in the works. How's that for a Month of Challenges?!


To make things more official, here is the Pledge that I make to you my readers:


'I, Katie of The Little Red Squirrel, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May '12. I endeavour to wear one item of me-made clothing each day for the duration of May 2012. Furthermore I pledge to complete at least 4 vintage revamp projects during May to wear as part of this challenge.'


So there you have it, May is going to be one exciting month! I better get cracking this month with finishing up some UFOs to wear...!


If you too want to take part in the Me-Made-May Challenge then head over to Zoe's blog to sign up, and do let me know if you do, I'd love to check out your part in the Challenge too :)


Katie xxx

3 comments:

Snippa said...

I've signed up for Me-Made-May, wearing me-made or re-fashioned clothes. 

Frau Tipmatic said...

I just looked ad your revamped clothes, and they are really great! Amazing what one can make our of shapeless stuff, when having the creativity. Great and I am looking forward to your May! Greetings

Sabrina said...

Best of luck with the MMM12 challenge! It'll be awesome to see your revamps. They're always great. Also, I just realized that at least two of my upcoming projects will fit into the Sew Cinematic Challenge, and your last post really made me want to join, so I'm going to get in on that one. Should be fun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...