Thursday 29 December 2011

Colette Fall Palette Challenge 2011 - 1960s top and tunic

You may or may not remember that way back when in September I vowed to take part in the Colette Fall Palette Challenge. I got as far as making a mood board and selecting my colours (see the post here), but then there was a slight problem with my sharing my finished projects with you. Because there weren't any! For various reasons, including the theft of my sewing machine, I found myself unable to complete any of my planned items for my Palette Challenge, however this all changed a few weeks ago! I have finally completed two of those projects and I can finally share them with you now...

So take a look at my new 1960s style top and tunic!



Usually I'm draw to the looks of the 40s and 50s but I found the pattern for this ensemble tucked away at the back of a vintage shop near my home and brought is home for next to nothing with a whole bunch of others. It did feel very strange to wear such a short skirt after so long in never wearing anything above the knee, but as soon as I got used to it I must admit I enjoyed it! 


This outfit uses three of the colours from my Fall Palette Mood Board, grey, cream and red (although I had the red items already!) and I love how they all work together. I'm totally in love with this dress fabric, which is covered in black and white pictures which have their names underneath them in french, I bought it at Ray Stitch and I cannot get enough of it! I also made a bow belt, once again using Tilly's tutorial, and I think it really sets off the whole look.


The top is my first ever attempt at using a stretch knit fabric! It's made with a beautifully soft t-shirt fabric that I picked up in Manchester months ago and it's so snuggly and comfortable. It was surprisingly easy to work with and the finished top is something that I know I will wear again and again and again, in fact several of my friends have expressed an interest in having one for themselves, so who knows, you may be seeing more of this top in the future! The original pattern had a high necked pussy bow look which I altered to add the peter pan collar - a favourite look of mine! - and I also added some fabric covered buttons to the cuffs and collar for a nice extra detail.


And yes, the observant readers amongst you may notice that the boots I'm wearing are the very boots that I featured on my mood board for colour inspiration! I love my Miss L Fire boots, they are heavenly to prance about in :) Although this isn't my usual look I really enjoy it and I'm sure I will be taking this outfit out on the town again soon!




Top - Handmade by me
Dress - Handmade by me
Belt - Handmade by me using this tutorial
Hat - Knitted by me using this pattern
Gloves - a gift from my Sweetheart
Bag - won in a competition by the wonderful Emma of Lady Jardin
Boots - Miss L Fire

All photos taken by my Sweetheart

8 comments:

mala_14 said...

You made almost everything you're wearing! That's so cool! The new outfit looks adorable. I love the fabric. Great job!

Debi said...

Ahhhh...I love this so much! Such cute fabric and I just love the collar detail! I've been eyeing those shoes for a while now on Miss L Fire's website!!! So great to see them on someone! They look lovely!

Rhia said...

You look very cute :D I love the blouse and hat! And yes, Miss L Fire is to die for...

Kate said...

That is a super cute dress! I love the print! :)

Anonymous said...

You look utterly smashing! I love the tunic dress and the top is fabulous! Well done!

Tilly said...

Lovely outfit! Ooh and a bow belt, very nice :) Love the boots too.

Elise said...

Aaah I love this, the fabric is v cute! :)

Anonymous said...

Cool jumper! You have the legs for it, so show them off! Your outfits are all so pretty.
Love them all!
Happy New Year
Irene

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...