Monday 29 August 2011

My Bank Holiday Adventures

Hello there lovely readers, it's so good to have a spare minute to write something to you all!

Imperil War Museum

Today was Bank Holiday Monday in the UK and I was lucky enough to not be called into rehearsals, so I got to spend a glorious day in London with my Sweetheart :) We decided to take a trip to the Imperial War Museum and I was very excited because I've never been there before. I had a brilliant time there, I'd really recommend it to anyone who enjoys history, plus it's free entry!

Have you got your tickets to the gun show? Sorry, I couldn't resist! :)
My Sweetheart with a fabulous London bus

One of my favourite parts of the museum was the WWII reproduction home. I loved some of the decor, and I loved the mannequin and sewing machine in the living room, it reminded me of home :) 

This girlie room was very sweet

Mannequins are totally awesome :)

The Make-do and Mend part of the museum was brilliant, I loved reading the pamphlets and bits and pieces, I picked up some tips for my own sewing :) Plus all the examples of 1940s daywear were beautiful.

Make-do and Mend

I got very snap happy with all the propaganda posters, I really love the look of them. I loved the little characters that were invented to get messages across, like Pete Potato, Dr. Carrot and Mrs Sew-and-Sew. My personal favourite is one of the posters below: "Be like dad. Keep mum!"

WWII posters

Tips for everyone methinks...

Yay, Make-do and Mend!

An iconic posters, and one of my favourites :)

There are some brilliant parts of the Imperial War Museum, the trench experience was fascinating although obviously pretty nasty, and apparently the Blitz experience is pretty incredible too, although we didn't get the chance to see this part of the museum because of crazy queues (plus, to be honest, I didn't really think that I'd enjoy thinking that bombs were being dropped on me). There are also some pretty harrowing parts of the museum, the Holocaust experience in particular, but I really think that that is the point of having a museum dedicated to war, reminding us of these terrible things so that we can do our best not to let them happen again. All in all it was a brilliant trip, and I really would highly recommend the museum, I will definitely be going again, particularly if they reopen the Make-do and Mend exhibition that was on there not so long ago :) 

Imperial War Museum = Top day out!

After a great time at the museum what better way to end a day out than cupcakes?? My lovely Sweetheart took me to Sweet Couture in Covent Garden and we munched away on some yummy cupcake goodness. His choice was classic Red Velvet, mine was Peanut Butter. I totally won with my choice :)

Sweet Couture = best cupcakes EVER

Peanut Butter and Red Velvet

My two favourite things! heehee :)

Very happy bunny!

It was pretty much a perfect day :) I hope you've all had a great Monday, Bank Holiday or otherwise, filled with your own adventures.

Bye for now!

13 comments:

Emily & Gracie said...

That looks like a fantastic exhibit and those cupcakes are making me drool a little bit.
xGracie

Kate said...

The IWM is one of my favourite places in the world! Have you been to the Cabinet War Rooms yet? I imagine you'd love it. We similarly went for the museum-on-a-bank-holiday route and took to the Natural History Museum. I nearly got taken out by a mob of children in the dinosaur room...!

Unknown said...

Great looking museum, and those cupcakes look divine! Your jacket is gorgeous.x

Elise said...

Ooh looks like fun, especially the Make do and Mend stuff! We did the museum/cake thing too, good day! :)

LandGirl1980 said...

It is a top day out. I can't count how many times I have been there!

Miss Marie said...

Definitely one of the best museums in London. Their exhibitions are fascinating - I've been working on a project there and it's been very hard not getting distracted from my work as I've passed through all the gallery spaces! They have SO much more in storage as well - I was talking to one of the "objects" curators about it and I also got to go into their art store, which is just full of paintings the public basically doesn't ever see. It seems such a shame that so much is hidden away - I don't know how they choose what to put out!

Pippin Lane said...

Why have I not been here?!!!!!! Right it's on the top of my to do list.......without the children, as an adult. And perhaps, I should visit your cupcake shop too!
nattie x

Anonymous said...

I went to the War Museum the only time I've been in London (almost 8 years ago). It was an incredible experience. The Blitz experience and the trench have really stuck with me all these years. Also, the cupcakes look delish!

Wendy Bayford said...

This sounds like my idea of the perfect day out! The IWM is one of my very favourite museums and to finish the day with cake, well what's not to love:)

LinB said...

What a lovely day out with your nice young man! It's pleasant, isn't it, to have a day every once in a while when you don't have to do anything you don't want to do. And your photos show that the weather cooperated, too. We get next Monday off in the US, for Labor Day. I may drag my own old man to a local museum -- or not, as he is more stubborn than a mule and too heavy for me to pick up and carry.

nana said...

id like to have a boyfriend like yours...he enjoys doing things with you that some other guys wouldnt...it sounds like a great day

Katie said...

Gracie - They were soooo good :)

Kate O - I think I'd love the cabinet war rooms bit I've never been, thanks for the tip :) I'm glad you survived your mowing-down ordeal!

Hannah - Thank you :)

Faff - obviously great minds think alike :) I hope you had a lovely day!

LandGirl1980 - I loved it, seeing your posts about it really made me want to visit too so thanks for the inspiration :)

Miss Marie - what an amazing place to work, that must be incredible, you lucky thing! I always wonder how they pick what goes out and how much stuff they store away out of sight. It just reminds me of NIght at the Museum!

Katie said...

Nattie - Do it! It's a great day out and believe me you cannot go wrong with those cupcakes :)

mala-14 - It's such a great museum isn't it?

Wendy - you are a girl after my own heart obviously :)

LinB - heehee! I hope you have a great Labor Day filled with museums and cakes!

nana - me and my Sweetheart are very liked minded, but yeh he's pretty special :) it was a perfect day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...